Jeffrey S. Gross has dedicated his practice to helping injured workers, first as an associate at Ominsky, Welsh, Rosenthal & Steinberg and, since 1992, as a partner with Batt & Gross.
Mr. Gross is a graduate of Muhlenberg College (B.A. 1988) and the Dickinson School of Law (J.D. 1991). He is a highly effective advocate for injured workers.
In 2003, he was awarded the Philadelphia Bar Association Martha Hampton Award in recognition of strong advocacy, compassion for injured workers, and professional and community service.
He was also recognized by Philadelphia Magazine as a Super Lawyer concentrating in Workers' Compensation in 2004-2010. In addition, in 2006, 2007, 2009 and 2010, Mr. Gross was recognized by Philadelphia Magazine as one of the top 100 lawyers in the City of Philadelphia and one of the top 100 lawyers in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
He has served on the Philadelphia Bar Association's Workers' Compensation Section executive committee since 1995, served as co-chair of the section in 2001, and currently serves as fundraising chair.
Mr. Gross represents injured workers in compensation matters before Workers' Compensation Judges, the Workers' Compensation Appeal Board, the Commonwealth Court and Supreme Court of Pennsylvania.
He is admitted to practice in the state courts of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Pennsylvania.
Mr. Gross is a frequent lecturer on Workers' Compensation matters.
He was elected to the Philadelphia Bar Association Board of Governors for 2008, 2009 and 2010.
- Bar Admissions:
- Pennsylvania, 1991
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1991
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 1996
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1991
- The Dickinson School of Law, Carlisle, Pennsylvania,
- Muhlenberg College,
Honors: Cum Laude
Major: Business Administration
- Published Works:
- "The 4 Common Injuries and Mental Stress Claims in Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation", Lorman Education Services, November, 2007
- "Commonwealth Court Addresses Workers' Compensation Section", Philadelphia Bar Reporter, May, 2005
- "Medical Reports Inadmissible Despite Act 57 Allowance: Evidence on Claims Exceeding 52 Weeks is Deemed Hearsay", The Legal Intelligencer, Vol. 225, No. 116, December, 2001
- "Palliative Physical Therapy is Deemed Reasonable and Necessary Treatment According to Commonwealth Court", The Legal Intelligencer, Vol. 225, No. 93, November, 2001
- "Pennsylvania Supreme Court Clarifies 'Discovery Rule' of Workers' Compensation Act Notice Provision", The Legal Intelligencer, Vol. 225, No. 72, October, 2001
- "Key in Reinstatement Positions: Aggravation vs. Recurrence - Burden of Proof Issues", The Legal Intelligencer, Vol. 225, No. 52, September, 2001
- "Workers' Compensation Subrogation Liens Inapplicable in ADA Claims: Separate Causes of Action Do Not Entail Double Recovery", The Legal Intelligencer, Vol. 225, No. 8, July, 2001
- "Workers' Compensation Subrogation Liens are No Longer Absolute", The Legal Intelligencer, Vol. 224, No. 115, June, 2001
- "Commonwealth Court Decision in American Belt_Sparks Controversy Over Child Labor Law", The Legal Intelligencer, Vol. 224, No. 91, May, 2001
- "Courts Address Statute of Limitations Involving Petitions to Reinstate Benefits: Injured Workers Have Three Years After Partial Disability Expires", The Legal Intelligencer, Vol. 224, No. 71, April, 2001
- "Workers' Compensation Carrier Required to Pay Full Amount of Subrogation Lien Asserted by Separate Third Party Health Insurance Plan in Excess of Cost Containment Provision of Act 44", The Legal Intelligencer, Vol. P.1711, March, 2001
- "Supreme Court Considers Burden of Proof for Reinstatement Petitions Following Layoff While Under Suspension of Benefits", The Legal Intelligencer, Vol. P943, February, 2001
- Classes/Seminars Taught:
- "The 4 Common Injuries and Mental Stress Claims in Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation", Lorman Education Services, November 2007
- "Simple Solutions to Tough Problems in Workers' Compensation", Pennsylvania Bar Institute, April 2007
- "Tough Problems in Workers' Compensation", Pennsylvania Bar Institute, March 2007
- "Uses and Misuses of the Notice of Temporary Compensation Payable, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, June 2006
- "Dissecting and Defending IRE Reports and Other Post Gardner lssues-Case Law Update, Legal Issues and Strategies", Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, 2006
- "Misuses of the Notice of Temporary Compensation Payable: Case Law Update, Attorneys' Fees and Penalties", Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2006
- "Techniques in Handling Workers Compensation Litigation Involving Labor Market Surveys", Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry, Bureau of Workers Compensation, 2006
- "Pension Offsets and Workers' Compensation Benefits", Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, April 2005
- "Medicare: Dealing with Medicare Set Aside Trusts", Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, May 2004
- "Litigating Cases Under the Occupational Disease Act", Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, March 2003
- "Penalties for Violation of the Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation Act: Misuse of the Temporary Notice of Compensation Payable", Pennsylvania Bar Institute, September 2002
- "Calculation of the Average Weekly Wage: Maximizing Your Client's Rate and Award- Recent Decisions", Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, November 2001
- "Case Studies: Learning Techniques on Handling and Litigating Claims from the Claimants and Defense Attorneys' Perspective", Occupational Health Medical & Legal Workshop - Temple University Health System, May 2001
- "Important Changes in Reinstatement Petitions: Case Law Update on Statute of Limitations and Burdens of Proof", Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, June 2001
- "Ethical Considerations in Workers' Compensation Cases", Pennsylvania Bar Institute, June 2000
- Honors and Awards:
- Martha Hampton Award, Philadelphia Bar Association, 2003
- Super Lawyer in Workers' Compensation, Philadelphia Magazine, 2004 - 2008
- One of the Top 100 Attorneys, Philadelphia Magazine, 2006
- One of the Top 100 Attorneys, Philadelphia Magazine, 2007
- Member, Louis D. Brandeis Law Society, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Philadelphia Bar Association, 2008 - Present
- Board of Governors
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Workers' Compensation Section, 2001 - Present
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Workers' Compensation Section, 1995 - Present
- Executive Committee
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Workers' Compensation Section
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Solo and Small Firm Section
- Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association
- Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers' Association
- Past Employment Positions:
- Ominsky, Welsh, Rosenthal & Steinberg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Associate, 1991 - 1992
- Temple Adath Israel, Merion, Pennsylvania, Board of Directors
- Temple Adath Israel, Merion, Pennsylvania, Men's Club President, 2004 - 2006
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Licensed Pilot, 2004 - Present
All Calls Returned Within 24 hours
We Don't Get Paid Unless You Get Paid