From slip and falls to chemical burns, certain jobs can expose you to different types of occupational hazards. One overlooked danger some workers are exposed to is lead poisoning; not only for themselves, but for members of their household as well. Occupations from removing old structures to working with metals can expose one to lead dust or particles. Lead dust can be caught on your shirt or shoes and can travel to your home if not properly cleaned and maintained. If this lead dust is inhaled or swallowed, it could lead to numerous health issues.
The symptoms of lead poisoning are numerous and may develop slowly. Most people who suffer lead poisoning are usually unaware that they have been exposed to it. If your job involves soldering, removing old paint or remodeling houses, fixing radiators, maintaining batteries, scrapping metal, or demolishing buildings, you may have been exposed to lead.
The severity of lead poisoning symptoms depends on the length of exposure. Short term exposure can lead to symptoms ranging from headaches to abdominal pain, fatigue, weakness, memory loss or constipation. Higher levels of lead exposure have caused brain damage, anemia, kidney damage, or even death.
The dangers of lead exposure are particularly dangerous to younger children. Pregnant women exposed to lead have suffered miscarriages and stillbirths, while children under the age of six have showed signs of learning disabilities, memory loss, and brain and nerve damage. Most children who are suffering from lead poisoning do not show symptoms until it is too late. A proper blood test from your doctor is required to diagnose lead poisoning.
You must take proper care if you work with lead to prevent lead exposure at home. Because lead particles are minute and unseen by the naked eye, it can easily get into your carpets, shoes, or clothing and spread through the house. A good suggestion is to bring a change of clothes with you so that you can remove your work clothes, put them in a safe plastic bag, and wash them. You should also shower immediately and make sure to wash your hair, hands, and face with hot, soapy water.
If you suspect you are exposed to lead, you must notify your employer; they are required by law to notify you if there is a possibility of lead exposure or any other dangers. They are also required to provide you with a Material Safety Data Sheet that informs you on the products and chemicals you use while at work. It is your employer’s responsibility to keep you safe from hazards, such as lead poisoning.
If you are suffering from lead poisoning, contact the Philadelphia Workers’ Compensation lawyers at Gross & Kenny, LLP. Our knowledgeable and experienced lawyers will fight for the proper compensation you and your family deserve. Call us today at 267-589-0090 or fill out our online form for a free consultation today. Located in Philadelphia, we serve clients throughout Pennsylvania.