Hazards for Highway Workers
Some of the many hazards faced by highway workers include:
- Defective tools or machinery
- Improperly maintained equipment
- Drunk drivers
- Distracted drivers – including cellphone use and texting
- Speeding drivers
Common Injuries Suffered by Highway Workers include:
- Broken bones from slip and falls
- Hand-arm vibration syndrome from use of vibrating power tools
- Traumatic brain injuries from struck-by accidents
- Spinal cord injuries from highway accidents
- Neck and back injuries from falls
- Heat stress injuries from working long shifts in hot conditions without shade
Compensation for Injured Highway Workers
Depending on the type of injuries and the circumstances of the work accident, there may be several options available to highway workers for compensation for injuries. The Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Act requires all employers to carry Workers’ Compensation insurance, which may provide an injured employee with some or all of the following benefits:
- Wage-loss benefits for total or partial disability
- Medical benefits for care including hospital treatment and service, medicine, supplies, orthopedic appliances, and prostheses
- Death benefits paid to the surviving dependents of a worker who suffers a fatality
- Specific loss benefits for loss of the use of limbs or digits, vision, hearing, or permanent disfigurement
If you were injured in a work accident that was due to negligence on the part of someone other than your employers, such as another company responsible for work being done in the work zone, the manufacturer of defective equipment, or a negligent automobile driver – you may be able to file a third-party claim. This would entitle you to additional damages, such as mental and physical suffering, loss of companionship in the case of wrongful death, and punitive damages.
Every case is unique. In order to receive the maximum compensation available for the circumstances of your situation, it is best to consult with an experienced Philadelphia Workers’ Compensation lawyer who can explain all your legal options.
Philadelphia Workers’ Compensation Lawyers of Gross & Kenny, LLP Represent Injured Highway Workers
Highway workers have a hazardous workplace and can sustain serious injuries on the job. If you or someone you love has suffered a work injury, talk to a Philadelphia Workers’ Compensation lawyer of Gross & Kenny, LLP today. Our practice is dedicated exclusively to injured workers and we will fight to get you the maximum allowable compensation for your case. Call 215-512-1500 today or contact us online to schedule your free initial consultation in our Philadelphia, Pennsylvania office.